Binzer is a popular drummer in demand on the Irish circuit.
He established himself in the early nineties as a founding member of The Frames. He recorded and toured their first three albums, then subsequently left in 1998 and went on to become an independent drummer playing with many renowned Irish artists.
One of which is Mundy who Binzer still tours and records with on a regular basis. Mundy, a Meteor award winner, has had hit songs ‘July’ and ‘Mexico’ and a song featured on the ‘Romeo & Juliet’ soundtrack.
Bell X1, who formed from the ashes of Damien Rice’s old band enrolled Binzer in this new incarnation. He toured and recorded two records with them.
2003 saw him back on the drum throne to help out his old friends The Frames with touring commitments around America and Australia for most of the year.
On return, another project was waiting, with long time drummer friend Graham Hopkins entitled Halite. They released two albums with Warner Bros. and played alongside The Foo Fighters and Red Hot Chilli Peppers at Slane 2003.
Concerto for Constantine is a hard hitting 3 piece group of friends. A band started in late 2007. Being labeled as a kind of supergroup alongside Binzer, they include members of JJ72 and Scottish rockers Idlewild. Somewhat of a side project they still managed to secure successful support slots to Smashing Pumpkins and Snow Patrol to great reviews.
On release of Mercury Prize nominee Gemma Hayes’ third album ‘The Hollow of Morning’ she requested Binzer for all live duties. After a successful year of live shows she enrolled Binzer for her fourth studio album ‘Let It Break’. A lot of this record was toured acoustically featuring Binzer on, as well as drums; Cajon, ukulele, guitar and other assorted percussion.
At the start of 2010 Binzer started to work with The Shoos who are now creating waves abroad and have just signed a deal with Universal.
In the last few years Binzer has been working with ‘big music’ legends The Waterboys. Following Mike Scott’s return to Dublin in 2009 he headhunted Binzer for Waterboys duties.
In 2014, Binzer became involved with a new Band, Little Matador who released their debut album on Fiction Records in April of that year. Having already stacked up some support slots with the likes of Q.O.T.S.A. Nine Inch Nails, and Jimmy Eat World to rave reviews, the new venture kept Binzer busy for the rest of the year.
Other Artists Binzer has played with in the studio or live include: Fionn Regan, Vyvienne Long, Declan O’Rourke, Camille O’Sullivan, An Emotional Fish, Jerry Fish, My Brightest Diamond, The Carnival Brothers, Wilt, Time the Revolator, The Maryjanes, Nick Kelly & The Fat Lady Sings, Joe Chester, Gavin Glass, Tupelo, Pete Fagan, Paula Gomez, Scott Maher, Luan Parle, Martin Staunton & The Lost Parade, Hitman Lord, Brendan McCahey, Hozier.
Binzer endorses Zildjian cymbals, Evans drumheads, Vater sticks, and Q custom drums.
- THE FRAMES
- “Another Love Song” L.P. 1991 (Island Records)
- “Fitzcarraldo” L.P. 1995 (ZTT Records)
- “Dance the Devil” 1999 L.P. (ZTT Records)
- “24 Star Hotel” L.P. 2001 (Camcor Records)
- “Raining Down Arrows” L.P. 2003 (Camcor Records)
- “Live & Confusion” L.P./DVD 2006 (Camcor Records)
- “Strawberry Blood” L.P. 2009 (Camcor Records)
- GEMMA HAYES
- “Let It Break” L.P. 2011 (G.H. Records)
- “Night and Day” L.P. 2014 (Chasing Dragons)
- “Music in Mouth” L.P. 2004 (Island Records)
- “Win Lose or Draw” E.P. 2002 (Independent)
- “Tailspin” E.P. 2003 (Independent)
- “Courses” L.P. 2005 (Head on Records)
- JOE CHESTER
- “The Tiny Pieces Left Behind” L.P. 2008 (Independent)
- “She Darks Me” L.P. 2011 (Independent)
- SCOTT MAHER
- “Cartoon Moon” L.P. 2003 (Pyramid Records)
- “21 Bends” L.P. 2008 (Pyramid Records)
- MARTIN STAUNTON & THE LOST PARADE
- “Martin Staunton & The Lost Parade” 2009 (Independent)
- THE LOST PARADE
- “People Like You” L.P. 2013 (Independent)
- ALICE JAGO
- “Born Stubborn” L.P. 2010 (Independent)
- TIME THE REVOLATOR
- “Outside, Square” L.P. 2011 (Independent)
- CAMILLE O’SULLIVAN
- “Changeling” L.P. 2012 (Little Cat Records)
- PAULA GOMEZ
- “Love and Hate” L.P. 2013 (Independent)
- THE CARNIVAL BROS.
- “The Sun Is Gonna Shine” Single 2013 (Fret Sounds)
- “Carnival Station” single 2013 (Fret Sounds)
- OLIVER COLE
- “Little Wolf” L.P. 2014 (Independent)
- “Push On” 2014 L.P. (Crashed Records)
- LITTLE MATADOR
- “Little Matador” L.P. 2014 (Fiction)
- HITMAN LORD
- “Hitman Lord” L.P. 2010 (Independent)
- THE SHOOS
- “Rescue Room” E.P. 2011 (Universal)
- “Panic Slowly” L.P. 2012 (Independent)